As the whole of the UK is currently wondering where summer has gone, with widespread rain and in some parts of the country, stormy skies and high winds, we thought it may be an idea to share our top 10 tips for driving in wet and rainy conditions.
Rosedale Leasing’s top 10 tips for driving in wet and rainy conditions
Prepare your car for driving in the rain
- Always check your tyres before heading out, ensuring that there is plenty of tread depth to help alleviate standing water from between the road surface and the tyres.
- If your current tyres are worn down, consider replacing them.
- Tyre pressures that are too low – or too high – can result in reduced traction, premature tread wear, and even tyre failure. Check your tyre pressure ideally at least once per month.
- Check your vehicle’s wiper blades for age and wear, bearing in mind that many need replacing after a year or so.
- Make sure that all of your vehicle’s lights are in full working order.
Driving in the rain tips
- Turn your full headlights on, not just the Daytime Running Lights. This helps to make your vehicle is not hidden from view due to the spray of the road and you will be more visible to oncoming traffic, too.
- If your windows fog up, use the air-conditioning if you have it to dehumidify the air inside your vehicle. If you don’t have air conditioning, open the rear windows a little to allow the air to circulate.
- Drive slower than you would usually when travelling on wet roads is crucial. A wet road surface means less grip and braking distances can double. In addition, the ability to steer around obstacles can be reduced.
- Keep your distance from the vehicle in front of you – even more so than you usually would.
- Drive as smoothly as possible, as jerky or rushed steering can result in loss of control on rain-slicked roads.
Rosedale Leasing’s top road safety tips
We hope that you have found our latest road safety top tips blog useful – feel free to share via social media if you have! As usual, we would love to hear your thoughts and top road safety advice, tweet us @RosedaleLeasing or join in the conversation on Facebook.
If you are currently looking for your next vehicle, the team at Rosedale Leasing are on hand to provide advice and help you find the best deal on a safe, reliable family or business vehicle. Browse our website today or call us on 0845 148 3012!