As one of the UK’s most popular sports utility vehicles, the Nissan Qashqai is chosen by many buyers for many reasons including style, practicality and high levels of in-car tech.
Now the Japanese marque has raised the bar even higher with the launch of its advanced ProPILOT drive-assistance technology across the entire Qashqai model range. The award-winning system is available for the first time on all automatic versions of the UK’s best-selling crossover SUV.
It is Nissan’s first step on its journey towards autonomous driving, but what is ProPILOT?
Nissan ProPILOT explained
- ProPILOT enhances driver control by assisting with steering, acceleration and braking. It works in a single lane on highways and is optimised for low-speed congestion and high-speed cruising
- By liberating drivers from some of the more mundane elements of motoring, ProPILOT helps to reduce fatigue and stress, in turn improving safety and enhancing control and confidence
- Simple and intuitive to use, ProPILOT is activated by the driver using the ProPILOT button on the right spoke of the Qashqai’s steering wheel. Pressing the adjacent SET button maintains current speed and a safe distance from the vehicle in front
- The Qashqai will slow to a complete stop if traffic conditions require. It moves off automatically if the car is stationary for approximately three seconds or less. If longer, drivers just press the RESUME button or lightly tap the accelerator
- ProPILOT’s status is always displayed in the combimeter between the two dials in the instrument cluster. Visual warnings are supported by audible alerts.
- The technology works based on traffic and road conditions data supplied by a camera mounted in the Qashqai’s windscreen and a radar behind the Nissan badge in the front grille
ProPILOT is Nissan’s first step on the journey towards autonomous driving, on the Qashqai it is a ‘hands on, eyes on’ technology. The driver remains in control and responsible for the vehicle at all times.
Since its introduction on the Nissan Serena in Japan in 2016, over 350,000 Nissan vehicles have been equipped with ProPILOT driver assistance technology, making Nissan the global leader in semi-autonomous drive technology amongst mainstream brands.
Kalyana Sivagnanam, managing director, Nissan Motor (GB) Ltd. said;
“The Nissan Qashqai has always been a leader in terms of innovative design and technologies that enhance the ownership experience. Our advanced ProPILOT drive assistance adds a greater level of confidence, control and enjoyment to the UK’s best-selling crossover.”
Qashqai models with ProPILOT are available to order from Rosedale Leasing – soon to be Lookers Personal Leasing (part of the Lookers Group) – click here to get an instant online Nissan Qashqai contract hire and leasing quotation or call one of the team on 0191 298 1648 | Monday to Friday 9am to 6:30pm!