If you are planning a holiday getaway this summer – or a long weekend break to make the most of the Bank Holiday Weekend (26th August 2019) – it’s important to get things off to a good start.
Making your journey a safe and stress-free one will set the tone for your break, keeping a smile on everyone’s face, no matter what the weather may have in store!
IAM RoadSmart’s head of driving and riding standards, Richard Gladman, gave us some Top Tips earlier this year to help you plan the perfect trip.
A little journey preparation really DOES go a long way!
Top Tips | Planning the perfect summer holiday motor journey
- Check your vehicle inside and out before setting off, including tyre pressure and fluid levels – remember to make sure your car ancillaries are working properly
- Place luggage in your boot securely so it’s well out of the way and doesn’t obstruct your view
- Allow plenty of time for the journey and check the news for traffic updates and roadworks nearby (if your vehicle has the latest technology that can do this for you, now is the perfect time to try it out)
- If you’re travelling during the early hours of the day or late in the evening, be fully rested before setting out
- Eat something light to avoid feeling sluggish before you leave
- If are going to be using an in-car or external sat-nav device, why not programme in the destination before you leave and check it to avoid any unexpected delays?
- Take regular rest breaks to split up the journey when driving on a long stretch of a motorway. It’s good practice to stop at least every two hours
“With so much planning involved in a holiday, many of us forget about the first bit – how we get to our destination.
“If your journey is a long one, take some time to plan where and when you will be taking a break – just so you can get a little rest and have some water to stay hydrated. Enjoy the journey and more importantly, enjoy the getaway.”
Have a fantastic summer holiday and August Bank Holiday 2019 from the Team at Rosedale Leasing and remember, you can browse our contract hire and leasing offers on-the-go via your smartphone or tablet!
About IAM RoadSmart
IAM RoadSmart has a mission to make better drivers and riders in order to improve road safety, inspire confidence and make driving and riding enjoyable. It does this through a range of courses for all road users, from online assessments through to the advanced driving and riding tests. IAM RoadSmart is the trading name of all businesses operated by the UK’s largest road safety charity, the Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM) and was formed in April 2016 combining the IAM, IAM Drive & Survive, PDS and IAM Driver Retraining Academy. The organisation has 92,000 members and campaigns on road safety on their behalf. At any one time there are over 7,000 drivers and riders actively engaged with IAM RoadSmart’s courses, from members of the public to company drivers, while our Driver Retraining Academy has helped 2,500 drivers to shorten their bans through education and support programmes.
To find out more about IAM RoadSmart visit www.iamroadsmart.com.